09 March 2009

and the winners are...

The time has come, my lovely blogger friends...

Just a week ago, I was about to create a new listing in my shop for a painting I had just finished, but felt conflicted by the inability to find the right name for the piece. And so the idea of holding a spontaneous "name-my-painting" contest was born... and here I am, a week later, absolutely stunned by the response.

Let's take a little look at the stats...


Within just five days, the contest received...


With just 6 shy of 300 name submissions, it was a difficult task to narrow down my choice to just one. I decided to jot down the ones that stood out to me the most, and then to make my choice from that list. Too bad that method didn't work so well considering I loved so many of the name suggestions!



When I created this painting, I wanted the use of color to be the focal point of the piece. While some may see the birds in the forefront, I actually see them as muted silhouettes that blend into the background. They provide movement and contrast, but the depth definitely comes from the fusion of bold colors.

With this in mind, I was searching for a name that would capture this, and while many caught my attention... two names definitely felt just right.

That's right -- you heard me: two names.
One will serve as the name of the collection
(as this will be the first of many);
While the second serves as the specific name for this piece.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And so onto the results!
The chosen names for the collection and piece are:


Collection: "Aurora Birdealis"
"Aurora Birdealis," coined by participant ecky (or Erica), encompasses the whole concept of the fusion of bold colors. Moreso, it's a quite witty name and is actually a play on words in reference to the "aurora borealis," which consists of natural light displays in the sky, usually observed at night, particularly in the polar regions. I took the time to Google some images while researching more about the name, and these fantastic photos came up on my search:



After seeing those photos, I immediately knew it had to be the name for the collection. And thanks to ecky, I now have color inspiration for the future additions to the collection. And c'mon -- "Aurora Birdealis"? Who doesn't love a little play on words?!


Piece: "Lemon Sherbert"
As for the name of the piece, I couldn't help but feel like a thirsty little kid on a hot summer's afternoon craving for some good 'ole lemonade when I read the name suggestions by Belinda. She mentioned that the piece reminded her of lemons, and I couldn't agree with her more. With a bright, dominant yellow hue mixed in with the fresh colors of spring, her name submission of "Lemon Sherbert" covered all the feelings I get from this piece: refreshed, youthful, and adventurous.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A big thank you to everyone that participated and submitted their ideas! I really did read through each suggestion, and I had a tough time narrowing it down (so tough I'll be including some of my other favorites in my next post -- so look out for that!). And, of course, congratulations to ecky and Belinda, who will both be receiving packages full of Steppie goodies with their exclusive "Aurora Birdealis: Lemon Sherbert" art print.


Now that my painting has a fitting name, it is finally available in my shop:
"Aurora Birdealis: Lemon Sherbert" Original Painting

Art prints available soon.
Leave me a comment if you would like to be notified when they are!


Thanks to the following sites for featuring my contest:
+ etsy.swag
+ etsy giveaways
+ adiqshun designs
+ bybelinda


If you enjoyed this contest, please comment and let me know! If the response is good, I'll be sure to hold another one similar to it very soon. In the meantime, be sure to stop by my etsy shop and subscribe to my blog posts to stay updated with what I'm up to -- very exciting stuff coming soon!
blog comments powered by Disqus