16 October 2008

in tough times...

This will probably be my first text-only post (oh, how I love them photos!), but the economy and the discouragement from lack of sales has been plaguing Etsy and the Etsy forums. Inspired by a "Thursday Positive Thread", I've decided to take the high road and not let the current circumstances of our country and its economy effect me and the stuff I love to do!

In hopes to spread the positivity I received, I decided to write on the forums about these exact feelings in my post, "Keeping It Positive!"

In case the link dies soon, here is what I had to say:

Inspired by the "Thursday positive thread," I've decided to share a bit of how I'm feeling amidst the situation we are all sharing and dealing with at the moment... your feedback is encouraged!


-------------------------------------------------------


I really think that staying positive is definitely the way to go. It is important to understand and educate ourselves with our current situation as to know how to take action - but it's just that, we must take action, and waste little time moping and feeling inactive. Because we deserve it!

I graduated from college just a couple months ago, and unemployed and trying to find my niche in this world, came across Etsy and all that it provided me. A venue, a beginning, the encouragement to open up shop, do what I love, and see my items get shipped off to all over the world into new welcoming homes. And while sales are on and off and usually quite unpredictable... I wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

This community in itself represents a lot of things... creativity, innovation, entrepreneurship, vision, comradeship, and probably the thing I see the most nowadays: the willingness to fight. It's like the battlegrounds here on Etsy, but the ones that stick it out 'til the end will be here to stay.

Tough times are being shared by many right now, and while we watch our friends and family get laid off and lose the luxuries we take for granted in this world, no one can take away our passion, our craft, and our willingness to fight.


In times when we feel powerless, we must take advantage of the things we DO have control over: our awesome handmade products that are worth EVERY SINGLE cent, the unbeatable relationships we build with our lovely customers, and the choice to stay and make Etsy the community we all want it to be.


So... who's willing to stick it through with me?

So, for all you bloggers out there... are YOU with me?


xoxo,
Steppie

0 xoxo's: